Friday, November 27, 2009

Started!

Finally, it started after few years of hibernation. The best thing is that it start with one crank! Alhamdulillah.

So how do I get it started?? The basic engine combustion is when there are 3 main components, the fuel, spark from spark plugs, and air. These 3 elements complete the fire pyramid; in order to allow combustion to happen. So in case of no-start case, the basic thing to look after is this 3 things; are they exist at the first place to able combustion?

Spark Plug Test

This test is fairly simple. Take-out the spark plug, while attaching the cable on it (preferably wear insulated hand glove) put the tip of the plug to any metal point; which I always prefer to use the absorber nut. Get somebody to crank over about 2 seconds and you should be able to see sparks going out of the plug. Now we have the spark.

Fuel Supply

I did opened the four injectors this morning. Put the key at position II/ON in order to get the fuel pump running. For k-jet system, the air flow plate sensor under the black belly rubber is connected to fuel distributor plunger. When there's vacuum in the system, it will lift up the plate which eventually will let the fuel distributor plunger moves and allow the high pressurized fuel to be sprayed off the injectors.


But for testing, I use a plier and lift up the plate manually. While lifting up you should see more fuel being injected. In my case only 1 injector sprayed while the other 3 were totally dry. I just pinned the nozzle nipple with my thumb nail and of sudden the fuel spurred out from the injector. Yeah, it shows that the injectors were clogged. Did the same for the 3 injectors, and now I get all injector spraying.


And the picture is showing what I get after few minutes of full blast 'bleeding' out the petrol out from the injector. It seems like 'fresh orange juice'! How dirty the fuel system is.


I turned off the ignition key to stop fuel supply; install back the injectors and restar the engine. Yeah, 1 crank only and there it goes! It start and idle well.



Air

Checking air supply is quite tricky. By putting my palm underneath the air intake manifold, I can feel the air vacuum. But to trace our small air/vacuum leaks might take some time.

After all, thanks Allah for His help and guidance as well. Now my plan is get the engine oil changed, flush ATF, and to inspect the brake booster; it do'nt work and hiss when brake depresed, symptom of brake booster failure. Will keep posted!

Good day.